Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Resistance is futile… You will be assimilated.

So last night I slept in the comfort of Methodist Hospital. Nothing to be worried about; this was purely voluntary. As Shotgun said below I was taking a sleep study. Over the past years I’ve been annoying Shotgun (my bed partner as they say in the sleep study biz) with my snoring.
The environment was pretty much as described in the post below. The staff however was the real highlight of this venture. My assigned sleep technician was not the 20 year old hotty just out of tech school; rather it was a crusty tech who had been quite a few places in the hospital. He finally decided that watching people sleep through the night was a good fit for his skills/personality. It’s been my experience that people who prefer to work nights are a little off. If you read this and say to yourself, “I work nights and you’re right there are some odd folks.” Then chances are you are normal for now (get out now while you still have your sanity). On the other hand, if you read this and think “I work nights, and no one is that peculiar” you have been on nights too long. You may even say you prefer nights. Leave a comment and I will gather some friends who have experience in this situation and we will have an intervention.
So anyway, back to the study. There I sit in a cold chair shirtless with Mr. Swears-and-Smokes-A-Lot putting enough electrodes on my head to make me a member of the Collective. It wasn’t that hard to sleep. It was hard to be comfortable but I slept anyway. The guy came into the bedroom in the middle of the night and fitted me with a c-pap mask because of some apneas I was having. Nothing major, but I suppose I’ll have to do something about that.
The morning came and Mr. Bitter woke me up to remove the electrodes. We got to talking and I told him I work for 3M in the medical quality group. Well then he informed me that the 3M tape holding electodes to my chest will hurt when it comes off and that Coban (another 3M product) stinks like “dog shit” when first opened. I told him that he should file a complaint because we take that “shit” seriously. He grinned and gave me a look that said “brace yourself patches, I’m pulling off those electrodes taped to your chest.” Ow, that hurt. I came home to tell shotgun all about it over the fresh coffee she made.

On a another note. Clipless pedals are great and I’m psyched to try them out on my next ride.

No comments: