Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Happy Birthday, Back Seat Girl!

Eating cake and ice cream at "Gama & Gampa's" house

Today is Back Seat Girl’s 2nd Birthday. I can hardly believe she’s already two years old, and yet I can’t remember what life was really like before her. She brings so much joy to our lives. We love to laugh at what she says and even at her little toddler tantrums.

She’s grown up a lot this past year. She’s learned how to walk (finally!), peed in the potty all of two times, and she’s vastly increased her repertoire of words and sentences. Just recently she’s starting asking “are you” questions. As in “are you sad, mommy?” “Are you angy, gampa?” (That one happened while he was trying to fix the grill last night.) She also likes to come into the room you’re currently in, look at you, and ask “are you in the kitchen/livingroom, mommy?” She loves to tell you she wants something, and then make it sound like it was all your idea. Here’s an example:
Alison: “Alison want a cookie.”
Me: (making sure I heard her right) “You want a cookie?”
Alison: “O.K.”

She has also started to be very possessive of pretty much EVERYTHING. I know it’s a normal toddler stage, but I still don’t like it. Everything is “my” or “mine”. She does not do well with other children playing with her stuff, but she is perfectly happy playing with other kid’s toys. She has a definite preference for girls or women, the exception being her “gampa”, whom she follows around like a puppy when we’re at their house.

Back Seat Girl is about to become a big sister, and that’s going to be a big step for her. I can’t wait to see how she handles it. She tells me she will help me take care of the new baby, and she finally says that her baby brother is my mommy’s tummy, though she doesn’t say it very often, and NEVER when asked.

I love you, Back Seat Girl. Have a very Happy Birthday!! I hope you know how much you are loved by everyone around you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Back Seat Girl! It seems like just yesterday we rushed to the hospital to meet you!